current mobile location (via DPRS)
Weather at WB4FAY QTH
Copyright (c) 2003-2020
Fox Hunting in the
|Provide practice and enhance skill in radio direction finding for
and by radio amateurs.|
|Promote teamwork within the amateur community.|
|To help or "Elmer" newcomers and old-timers alike in
the skills of radio direction finding.|
|Make available a competent pool of people with the skills for
finding the source of intentional or unintentional radio interference.|
- The hunt boundaries will be the county boundaries of Jefferson
- The hidden transmitter will be within 100 yards of a public road and
must be accessible to the public with no admission fee required.
- The hidden transmitter's signal must be able to be received at the
starting point utilizing an antenna with no more than 6db gain.
- The hidden transmitter will use a constant power level during the
hunt and the transmitter antenna configuration will not change during
- The hunt frequency will be 146.565 MHz.
- Each hunt team must travel together in a single vehicle.
- At the discretion of the "FOX", hints may be given at
various intervals during the hunt. Hints will be given on the
FOX frequency and on the 146.880 repeater. The times any hints
are to be given, and will the scoring penalty value for each hint,
will be made known to the hunters before the start of the hunt.
- So that all teams can hunt with equally high enthusiasm, the FOX
will not announce that the hunters are in the area or that any teams
have found the fox.
- Maximum hunt time is 2 hours. At the expiration of the time
limit, the FOX location will be announced on the FOX frequency.
- Upon arriving at the FOX, each team will immediately check in with
the Huntmaster by stopping in front of the FOX to record their time
- All hunter teams are to observe all traffic laws and are to respect
the property rights of all property owners. Violations are
grounds for disqualification from the hunt.
- All hunt teams must register at the starting location before the
start of the hunt. Registration will include providing the
names, calls (if applicable), and odometer reading for the hunt
- Rules number 1 through 7 may be modified for a particular
hunt. If modified, the applicable rules for the hunt will be
provided IN WRITING to each hunt team prior to the start of the
Specific Rules for the hunt on August 23, 2020 at 2:00 PM.
This hunt is a 'hunt from home' event. Fox will be on 146.565. Listen, take bearing, report your position (lng, lat up to 4 decimal places) and bearing to email@example.com. Make sure to indicate if bearing is referenced to magnetic or true north!
|Shades Mountain Baptist Church, 2017 Columbiana Rd., Vestavia Hills,
|Hunt will originate in the church's upper parking lot (33.440N,
|Talk in will be on the 146.880(-) repeater|
|Date and time
|The hunt scheduled for March 22, 2020 has been cancelled and will be rescheduled at a later date.|
|Watch this location for info on upcoming hunts in the area.|
for the hunter
The score of each team will be the sum of the time and distance
components. The highest score will be declared the winner.
|Time: (120 - hunt time in minutes)|
|Distance: (100 - distance in miles to the nearest 1/10th)|
for the huntmaster(s)
The score for the huntmaster(s) will be derived from the scores
of each hunt team that successfully finds the fox within the allotted
|For all teams completing the hunt, add all time (in minutes) and
distance (in miles) and divide by the number of teams.|